Spring has arrived on Hilton Head Island bringing with it beautiful azaleas in full bloom and the RBC Heritage Golf Tournament presented by Boeing. The Heritage Golf Tournament is a sure sign that the tourist season is back in swing and it brings out locals and visitors in large numbers. It’s an opportunity to see old friends and make new ones but it’s a very busy week on the island and where do you go to eat on Hilton Head Island during the Heritage that you won’t have a long wait?
Here are some of my favorite locally owned restaurants that almost always have a table available either because they are newer and not well known or because they don’t do a lot of advertising to the island visitors and cater to the locals.
1) Street Meet, Port Royal Plaza, www.streetmeethhi.com Street Meet is one of my favorite out of the way spots. Offering American fare with flair, Street Meet has reasonable prices and their menu offers something for everyone. Don’t miss the Hoffmann’s hot dogs (old style) in natural casings and the fried oreos! Street Meet is open until 1:00am if you are looking for a late night bite. Outdoor seating.
2) Jump and Phil’s, Reilley’s Plaza, www.jumpandphilshhi.com Located just outside the Sea Pines gate Jump and Phil’s couldn’t be more convenient when you’re leaving the Heritage. A local favorite, Jump and Phil’s is home to the Greenbay Packer’s fans during football season. This is a favorite spot after the St. Patrick’s Day parade for their lamb stew and corned beef and cabbage. They have a great Rueben sandwich and their burgers are pretty good too. Have dinner out on the patio.
3) Bella Italia, Port Royal Plaza, www.bellaitaliahhi.com Pizza, pasta and subs, how can you go wrong?
4) Pomodori, 1 New Orleans Rd, www.gopomodori.com okay, this one you might want to call ahead but our close friends just had their 50th birthday/wedding anniversary party here and the food was fabulous. It’s a little out of the way and a newer restaurant so it might not be as busy as others. Pomodori is a favorite with some of our local Italians. If they have the shrimp marinated with onions and fennel make sure to order it! There is outdoor seating
5) Mi Tierra, 166 Wm Hilton Pkwy, because some days you just need a margarita and a fish taco! Mi Tierra is a little tucked away but it is a favorite for Mexican on the island.
6) Main Street Cafe, 1411 Main Street, www.hiltonheadcafe.com Home of unlimited crab legs Main Street Cafe is cozy and comfortable. I’m partial to the grilled cheese with bacon and tomato, the lobster roll and the crab salad melt, yum! Outdoor seating is available.
7) Mangiamo’s, 2000 Main Street, www.hhipizza.com this is my favorite Italian salad dressing on the island, we also like their calzones and pizza wraps.
8) Charbar, Park Plaza, www.facebook.com/charbarco Charbar is a newer restaurant so you may still be able to get in when the island is busy. You can choose between beef, chicken, shrimp and portobello mushrooms and build your own sandwich with their variety of house made buns. Truffle fries, onion rings and sweet potato tater tots, indoor and outdoor seating, yummy!
9) Doughboys, 1-B New Orleans Rd, www.doughboyshhi.com this is so new that we haven’t tried it yet but friends report that it is great and since it’s new it’s a great prospect not to be too busy yet.
10) Eastern Chinese and Japanese, 840 Wm Hilton Pkwy, Ste G. Hungering for some Chinese? This is another friend recommendation but now that she’s told me that she likes it, I’ll have to try it.
Have a wonderful visit on the island and let me know if you find any other great spots that I should try!